Friday, August 28, 2009

Knitting With Dog Hair… the book

 

We’ve already reported  on the use of dog hair for knitting, aka “chiengora.”

It has come to my attention that there’s a book that tells you all about it:

Knitting With Dog Hair: Better A Sweater From A Dog You Know and Love Than From A Sheep You'll Never Meet

by Kendall Crolius

The comments on Amazon.com are awesome:

  • “My only complaint is the cover is misleading, there is a picture of a basset hound on the cover but you can't spin basset fur. I own a basset and bought the book because of the cover.”
  • “I felt bad at first shaving my dog completely bald, but after I got the sweater made using this book, he now looks stylish in his own fur!”
  • “In these times of impending environmental catastrophe, it behoves all of us to recycle to reduce our carbon footprint. Happily, this onerous task has just been made easier by this publication.
    With Kendall Crolius as my guide, I was able to produce a handsome pair of lederhosen and a saucy g-string from the excess hair produced by my pooch. I now intend to press on to the advanced section where there are designs for a fireman's uniform and a peek-a-boo bra.”
  • “I must say that I was initially excited about this book. Knitting with dog hair seems like one of those ideas that every pet-owning, recycling, energy-conscious responsible human being should subscribe to. However, one little thing you should be aware of before you get this book. You have to REMOVE the hair from the dog BEFORE you knit. I really wish I had been told this before I started. Sure Scout makes a great hat, but it's really embarrassing if you are walking down the street, wearing your admittedly very stylish chapeau, and the hat pees down the back of your neck.”

Surprisingly, there are no projects posted on Ravelry from this book. Sad.

No comments: