Monday, January 7, 2013

Moving & the Knitting Groove

It's amazing how moving to our new home has gotten me back into the knitting groove. I think it has to do in part with the fact that I have a new studio space to work in, so my yarn no longer lives in boxes and laundry baskets.

I also think it has to do with the house itself. We have bought ourselves an atomic ranch. This house looks like it could be on the set of Mad Men. We freaking love it. Michael and I have always loved mid-century/Danish modern style, especially the woodworking, and now we have the house to match. We spend our time hunting used furniture places for more pieces. Here's our living room, which is still in progress. Can you say "clerestory"? Love it.


Yesterday we found this handmade drop-leaf walnut table from the 1960s. Tapered-legs. Smooth joins. This thing is awesome. Michael took one leaf off (and I carefully wrapped it in an old quilt to store it) and he's using it as his desk.


So, the home design thing is definitely spurring the creativity.

I also found a local knitting meetup that gets together twice a month. If I can manage to keep my eyes open past 8pm, that'll be a lot of fun, too.

Lastly, I wandered into my new local yarn shop. Mostly I just touched everything. (Isn't that what LYSs are for?!?) and then bought all the yarn from the oddballs basket. Here's the haul:


I'm particularly intrigued by this fingering-weight mercerized cotton. Hmm.


--Katie Rose

No comments: