Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What did we miss?

(Jordynn here)

You may have noticed that, collectively, our output here at Knitty Professors has diminished over the past few years. If you look under our Books page, you'll see why: together and separately, we've been writing a lot. In addition to our new co-authored textbook, we've written single-authored manuscripts, columns in Slate and other publications, and online guides of various sorts. Not only that, but we now have three children, have moved three times, and have started three new career roles between us. Knitting time has to be worked in between laundry, playdates, and our mutual obsession with dystopian/fantasy fiction.

But we seem to have come up for air, at least temporarily, as a number of big projects are wrapping up. So what did we miss over the last, oh, two to three years? What have been your favorite projects, patterns, knitting books to come out?

One thing I've noticed as I've had the chance to hop back on Ravelry, for instance, is that I'm drawn to a different silhouette. Maybe it is due to my post-baby body, but I'm loving the slouchier, boxier sweaters like Princess Fiona, Ease, and pretty much everything Joji Locatelli has been designing lately. Four years ago I was in love with Fitted Knits, but now I'm dying to cast on for some of these looser sweaters to wear with tights and skinny jeans. It's all about the positive ease.

So I have a few questions for those of you who have been paying attention for the past few years.

Are superchunky knits over? I feel like my love for chunky cowls (like this one that I wore to the State Fair )has not abated, but is that no longer a thing?



And is everyone still obsessed with knitting triangular scarves?

What's the new Clapotis or Central Park Hoodie--the pattern everyone has to knit?

And what else is new, knitting friends?

No comments: