Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Xylem V-neck Sweater

UPDATE: Xylem is now available in all sizes (XS-XXXL) on my Ravelry page for $2.95.





I'm a bit of a science nerd, and I've recently been attracted to microscopic images. This sweater was inspired by images of xylem, which are part of vascular plants' circulatory systems (see below).


Xylem is knit top-down. After casting on, you first knit back and forth, increasing for the sleeves and the v-neck, and then join and continue in the round. While I've used a garter stitch pattern on the yoke and body, you could also choose to save the garter ridge pattern for the bust area if you'd rather emphasize that.
I chose to finish the sweater with garter stitch rows around the sleeves, hem, and neckline.


This sweater takes 5 skeins of Noro Kureyon (or 550 yards) on size 7 needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find it funny that you designed a xylem sweater to be knit top-down? :)

Beautiful, by the way!

jordynn said...

Thanks! Haha... maybe I should have called it Phloem!