Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Knitty Bargain Hunting

The last few days have yielded a bounty of knitty bargains, thanks to Craigslist and my local thriftshop.

First, I found these lovely vintage circular needles listed for $20 on craigslist, and absolutely had to have them! They are still in the original cases; the second one (not pictured) includes smaller size needles (2-5).


2) Yesterday Katie and I decided we'd like to knit lace. After placing an order for some lovely cones on knitty (at $22.50 a pop), I found someone listing 4 cones of JaggerSpun 100% wool laceweight yarn on craigslist-- we bought all four, with a few balls of random yarn thrown in, for $60! Here are mine, in aegean blue and bottle green:


3) And, today I was browsing through the local thrift shop, and, lo and behold, I found these cones of yarn. The burgundy one is Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport, 100% wool, in Chuck Berry. I'm not sure how old it is, because they no longer make that color, but still, they currently retail for $27 and I got mine for $1. I'm not sure what the beige one is, because it isn't labeled, so I'll have to do a burn test. I'm not crazy about the color, but I figured I could always try dying it...


So what's with all the bargains on laceweight yarn? Either the universe wants me to become a lace knitter, or everyone has realized that knitting lace is a big pain in the ass. Katie and I are doing a knitalong for the Candle Flame Shawl. Here's what I have so far (modeled on my new vintage needles). Kind of pathetic, huh?

No comments: