Wednesday, April 9, 2008

All in a Day's Shopping

I sent my book manuscript out today (fully revised) and celebrated by stopping by the fabric store (to buy buttons for Sylvia Plath), the yarn store, and the thrift store. After one hour I came back with all of this:


Clockwise from top left:

  • Random yarn from the thrift store. The other day I found some Berocco Touche there. This was unlabeled but seemed to have a nice texture so I figured for fifty cents I could test it and eventually make something with all of the random thrift store yarn I find.
  • Vogue Knitting's Teen Knits and Chunky Knits, and Crafts Jamboree (circa 1977), from the thrift store.
  • Red buttons (on book) from the thrift store to be used with...
  • Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in Barn Red (to make another Sylvia Plath with a tighter gauge).
  • Berocco Cotton Twist (possibly for another Sylvia Plath, or something else. I want a white sweater for spring/summer layering purposes).
  • Rowan Night Haze kid silk (to combine with some random yarn I bought over Craigslist a while back, to make Katie's Ribbed Cable Skinny Scarf).
  • Buttons for Sylvia Plath.
  • Reading Lolita in Tehran, since I'm about to finish my current book.
So as you can see I'm planning to experiment with cotton blend yarn to see if I can get it to work. Because I can't really see myself wearing wool in the summer in North Carolina, and I'd hate to have to wait for Fall to wear anything I make in the next few months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You find such great stuff at the thrift store! every time I go to one there's no books on knitting and maybe some wintuk from the 70's.

Unknown said...

congrats on sending out the manuscript!! so proud of you!