Tuesday, May 12, 2009

FO: Handspun Baby Kimono

From fiberarts images


I've been working on this little thing way too long--I probably knit it three times over trying to get the size and gauge right. It's still not right--I knit the small size and ended up with a 6-9 month size I'm guessing. But it is still the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Pattern: Garter Stitch Wrap Top, from Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies.

Needles: Size 2 Crystal Palace bamboo circulars.

Yarn: I used some fingering-weight handspun that I made from “scratch," an Icelandic/Romney blend. I bought the icelandic fleece from a farm in VA, and the romney from a farm in MA. I dyed the romney a French blue and the icelandic a medium purple. I carded them together, then spun a single-ply. I then plied the single with some nylon thread for strength. Very fluffy. I hope not too itchy.

Modifications: After all seaming was finished, I made this longer than the pattern called for by picking up at the bottom hem and working down--the picked-up seam is invisible because of the garter stitch. I added an extra inch, and might add more since I have more yarn. I used buttons for closure instead of ties by crocheting two loops on the edge of the front flap. As Adrian gets bigger, I can move the buttons over to increase the circumference of the sweater.

From fiberarts images


See it on Ravelry.

No comments: