Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Awesome: Green Knitting

A wind-powered scarf-knitting machine:

image

Although, people like knitting. A different approach would be to harness knitting energy to power other things. For example, as I’m knitting, I could also be charging my cell phone or laptop.

I don’t know why these things don’t exist everywhere all the time. I’ve been trying to convince my BF (a power engineer) to rig up a laptop charger that would be powered by an under-the-desk pedaler like this one:

image

Not only would you get in some extra exercise while stuck at your desk, but you’d be reducing your energy consumption. Who’s with me?

3 comments:

cedarstrings said...

Several years ago, somebody connected a generator to a stationary bike and the TV worked only when the bike was in use. I would definitely use the stationary pedaller while at the desk. In my locale, the auxilliary bike would produce more power than a solar battery would.

Debbie said...

I am so with you! as someone who is constantly turning off lights, taking the short walks instead of the car, using the staircase instead of elevators, I really try hard to be green and keep my carbon foot print low.

Anonymous said...

as an avid multi-tasker I'm totally with you! It would be awesome if my knitting could, say, power the oven or the computer or washer or whatever. As an added bonus, I wouldn't feel so guilty about all the sweaters I knit for myself!