Friday, November 12, 2010

Life Hits Hard, or Why I Need to Stop Complaining

Two weeks ago, my mother-in-law had a sore back. She was having a little trouble lifting my son out of the pack-and-play.

Today, she's in a wheelchair, and the doctors tell us she has metastatic bone cancer all over her body.

This is my husband's mother, a woman born to be a grandmother. She bakes pies like it's nobody's business. She grew up on a farm in a small town in Texas, the youngest of five kids and the only girl. She's a health nut and tough as steel.

My husband and I want to see her hold our new baby in the spring. But now, nothing is certain.

Nothing is certain.

Conclusion: I need to stop complaining and bake my boys a pie.

-Katie Rose

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. You and your family must be reeling. A cancer diagnosis like that is such a punch in the gut. If you need to complain you just do it and know that it's okay. I am a cancer survivor myself but I lost my 25 year old sister, she found out she had 8 weeks to live with no options for treatment. Life does hit hard some days.

Someday_phd said...

Sorrow and sympathy don't even begin to cover it.

I know what it is like to need to complain, yet feel like you can't. Email whenever you need to let it all out.

Malena said...

Oh, I wish there were words to comfort. Or that I had a magic wand. I wouldn't have to know you or your mother-in-law to wave that wand.

Prayers for peace coming your way.

Sharon Longworth said...

Sometimes life just seems so unfair. There aren't the right words to make it any better, but my positive thoughts are being sent in your direction.

Courtenay said...

Oh Katie, this is so sad. Sending love to you and Mike.

Anonymous said...

Bake a pie and know that there are many of us out here thinking of you and your family. ~Kelly