Sunday, November 27, 2011

FO: Hospice Sweater, 1 Year Later



One year ago, while Mary was dying of cancer, I began knitting a sweater. Often, at the time, there wasn't much to do but sit and wait. Knitting helped fill the time. The project was Ginevra's Pullover [Ravelry], and since I already had the yarn in my stash, I just started knitting.

And then Mary died, and then it was Christmas, and then I was on the job market, and then I had a baby, and then our au pair Anna arrived, and so I had to make some room by packing up my knitting studio, and then, one day, I realized that I had just stopped knitting.

Then last week, I decided I wanted a new pair of handwarmers. And then, in just one day, I finished the Hospice Sweater.

“Hospice,” according to the OED, used to mean a welcoming home for travelers on their journey. It kind of still does.



So, more or less on the anniversary of Mary's death, I finished the sweater. Miraculously, it looks good on my post-baby bod, even the belly.



Here are the details:

Project: Ginevra's Pullover [Ravelry], by Amy Polcyn, in Intervweave Knits.

Materials: Cascade 220 and Jaggerspun Superfine Merino 2/18 Skein.

Size Made: 38 inch bust.

Modifications: I kept the sleeves the same length---which means short on me---because I like 3/4 or bracelet sleeves. But I definitely lengthened the torso. I also added more garter stitch detail to the bust area.

No comments: