Monday, September 15, 2014

Circular Needle Storage: A Mystery of the Universe

Katie Rose here.

As long-time readers of this blog already know, Jordynn and I rarely knit with straight needles. In fact, I don't think I even own them any more. I do, however, own three different sets of interchangeable needles (Denise still being my fav), and a bazatrillion (that's a real number) of regular circular needles. 

I also keep buying cases in which I try to store, in an organized fashion, my circular needles. And yet they always end up looking like this.


I've tried everything to keep them organized, and I always fail. 

And you can see all sorts of really nice needles in that picture: Addi Turbos, Addi Lace, some of those square bamboo ones that I can't remember the name of but feel really cool when you are knitting socks. 

Whatever. Organizing circular needles is like folding fitted sheets or figuring out what happens when something goes into a black hole. 

Point is, I give up. 

To the first person to solve this problem in the comments, I'll send a free pattern of mine of your choice. (If I've already tried your suggestion and/or already own the case—like my Della Q one that is gorgeous, way expensive, and didn't work either, then your entry doesn't count.) 

At her wit's end, but very excited to hear some suggestions,
Katie Rose

7 comments:

abby said...

My mom helped me make a hanging organizer with a thrift store tie. It hangs behind my guest room door. We put a metal loop at the top for hanging and then sewed gaps for each needle size, which I labeled with a Sharpie. It works really well and allows the needles to hang loose. I know I found the idea online. It's like this, but with a tie instead of jeans and a metal ring from the hardware store instead of a hanger:
http://www.weebleknits.net/fomisc.html

krgp said...

This is a great idea. I made one too, out of some old green upholstery fabric (extra strong). My problem: too many needles. I'd pull one out and then all the others would come out too. So I tried to make bigger gaps, but then they wouldn't stay in. So: Why do I have so many needles!?!?

Lila B said...

I keep my circular needs in a 3 ring binder filled with top loading sheet protectors. Each pockets is labeled with the size of the needles.

Unknown said...

I found a fabulous handmade needle roll on Etsy. I have since purchased Hiya Hiya needle sets, but I love the portability of this! https://www.etsy.com/shop/knitonebeadtwo?ref=l2-shopheader-name

krgp said...

You guise have such great ideas! (Guise = feminine form of the other word, FYI.) @Kimberly: Those cases are indeed gorgeous, and I would totally support an independent crafter on Etsy in a heartbeat.

Let me refine my question: I have, literally, 60+ circular needles. The only thing I own more of, and in such an excessive fashion, is footwear.

Am I asking an impossible question? Is there no case that can keep these needles under control? Do I need to start giving them away? (NO DON'T MAKE ME DO IT.)

Jennifer said...

I bought a file organizer that has a locking top (not really locking, but it closes with a clasp), put a folder in each space and labled it with a size. It cost like 12$ all together... Works like a dream. As long as I put them back in there....

krgp said...

This is Katie. Abby, Lila, Kimberly, Jamy, and Jennifer: You all win. This was like the Kobayashi Maru of knitting. Email me directly with your pattern PDF request and thanks for playing.