Tuesday, October 9, 2007

This made me laugh

So I thought I would share it, since we all need more laughter, I think.

New York times columnist, law professor, one-time Milton scholar Stanley Fish writes this week, regarding questions put to him for a BBC interview:

The final question put to me was, “Whom would you vote for as President of the World?” I know whom I’d like to vote for. Someone wise, learned, strong, courageous, compassionate, authoritative, incorruptible, inspiring, capable and good-looking. No one living (or dead) came to mind, so I settled for a fictional character, Atticus Finch, at least as he was played by Gregory Peck. (Morgan Freeman in any number of roles is another possibility.)

Yeah. Atticus.

Although I could, for a while, dismantle the ethics of Hollywood's obsession with white male hero lawyers saving black men from wrongful murder convictions (Mockingbird, A Time to Kill, and Amistad come swiftly to mind), he's well, you know, Atticus.

I think I'm breaking my blog's "no politics" rule with this post.

It's a good thing I'm in charge here.

No comments: