Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thrift Store Yarn

For some reason, as I was walking home from the dentist today I had a feeling I should check the thrift store by my house for yarn. They have a drawer for yarn that is usually empty, but today I found a big bag that contained this:

IMG_0005

(10 skeins of Ornaghi Filati Amour).

And this:

IMG_0010

(8 skeins of Berrocco Chinchilla)

Granted, the Chinchilla is basically a novelty yarn, and neither of these are colors I would necessarily pick out at full price. And since they were in the same bag, I wonder if the original owner had in mind a particularly hideous project of some kind. An afghan pershaps? A stripey scarf? Ugh.

But I think I might be able to make something with them. The burnt orange Amour reminded me of the scarf Audrey Tautou wears in the film Happenstance (see below), so I might make it into a scarf or shawl.

image

This yarn haul comes on the heels of this find, from the Mennonite Central Committee thrift store near my sister’s house in Ontario:

IMG_0015

(6 skeins of Rowan Big Wool Tuft). I think this will either be a cowl or a scarf.

BTW, if you live near Elmira, ON, definitely check out this store. It includes BINS of yarn, organized by color. And when I was there they had needles (plenty of them new and in packages). So perhaps a yarn store went out of business and donated their stuff to the MCC?

No comments: