Monday, April 12, 2010

Caution: Rant Ahead

I just got the new Verena mag today and there are so many beautiful patterns. I flipped to the instruction pages and EVERY SINGLE DANG PATTERN is knit in multiple flat pieces, from the bottom up.

Here's my question:

Why on earth would you want to knit a five-piece sweater? (back, L front, R front, L sleeve, R sleeve) and then seam it all together and just HOPE that the thing doesn't look crazy? Haven't we had enough designers show us that all great designs can and SHOULD be worked in one piece (even if you prefer to work from the bottom up)? See e.g. Stephanie Japel, Brooklyn Tweed, and Wendy Bernard. Seriously, people. It is EASIER to work in one piece!

Elizabeth Zimmerman, hardly a newcomer, made this point over and over.

Why are we still knitting like we're knitting machines? We don't have to work pieces flat. We can work in the round. We're handknitters. We can knit the all sorts of three-dimensional forms, customize, and avoid the crap-shoot of seaming at the end.

VERENA, GET WITH THE PROGRAM.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! I find it so frustrating to get a fabulous mag only to find every item is knit up in multiple pieces-I can rework most patterns to do them in the round but why should I have to? It just doesn't make any sense to me.