Sunday, April 18, 2010

FO: Oread Pi Shawl



I knit another Pi Shawl, this time in a frenzied binge. This one went really fast, a combination of the yarn/needles and the simple concentric circle pattern. I let the yarn color changes do the talking, instead of complicated lace.

An Oread is a type of nymph from ancient Greek mythology. They lived in mountains, valleys, and ravines. The greens and grays of this shawl evoked that sort of imagery for me.



Oread
Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pi Shawl
Needles: Size 10 1/2 circulars
Yarns: This is a little more complicated.

I used some mohair ball ends I found a thrift store (brand unknown) held double with some Valley Yarns Alpaca/Silk Lace--I bought a cone of it a few years back, plus some other mohair in my stash. Basically, use a lightish weight mohair held with a lace-weight woolish strand. I'll try to give as much info on my yarn as I can.

So, here goes:
Main Color--Used throughout: Valley Yarns 2/14 Alpaca Silk in Olive. 4 ounces. (half of a half-pound cone)
Color 1 (center): Rowan Kidsilk Haze Color 645. 1/2 skein.
Color 2 (2nd color from center): Unknown Green variegated mohair. 1/2 skein.
Color 3 (grayish): GGH Softkid. Dark Gray. 1.5 skeins.
Color 4 (green/brown variegated): Fiesta Yarns Heaven in Catalina. 1/2 skein.



I used size 10 1/2 needles and this went really fast. I bound off with a crochet hook, like this:

Pass hook through one loop on needle and work a single crochet. Chain one stitch. Repeat all the way around.

Very simple but effective. The edge is ruffly because I worked an extra round of YOs shortly before ending, and I also worked a pattern of garter stitch rows periodically.

I’d be glad to write up what I did exactly if you want to know, if you want. Just post a request in the comments.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turned out GREAT!

Beth said...

I know it's been a while since you posted this but I would love to know exactly how you adapted the pattern, particularly with regard to the ruffle!! Beth

KRGP said...

@ Ruby: Okay! I'll write the post soon and put it up. Stay tuned.