Thursday, December 16, 2010

Life of a Knitty Professor, Part 2

It's Tuesday, at 9 a.m.

I'm 21 weeks pregnant. I just dropped my 19 month old off at preschool. My husband threw his back out at work this weekend. It's been three days and he's worse. A revision of my latest book manuscript is due on Friday. I have a ton of Christmas presents to finish making. Because Michael's been hurt, house looks like Pompeii: The Morning After. There is nothing, I mean nothing, to eat. And at 12:30 I have an OB appointment.

What's a Knitty Professor to do?

9 a.m. I give Michael a big drug and a muscle relaxant and lay him down on the floor in the den on my yoga mat and turn out the lights. (Don't tell him I took this picture.)



9:30 a.m. I clean then kitchen, and then I start cooking. (I'm a snob about pasta. That's chicken sausage browning in olive oil and garlic, with some sun-dried tomatoes. Later I'll add a chopped onion 2-3 chopped tomatoes, and whole-grain penne.)



10 a.m. Clean my room, Adrian's room, and every other stinking room in the house.

12 p.m. Head to OB. Check out the cutest leg I've ever seen:



3 p.m. Getting in car from OB, phone rings. It's Adrian's preschool. He's sick, and I have to go pick him up. Seriously?

4 p.m. Home now. Sick kid and husband. Strangely, though, eggnog and a fire in the fireplace seem to be making things better, as does the pasta I threw together this morning. We're hanging out around the train table Michael made (as in, from scratch. carpenter. awesome.):



5 p.m. Mike says he'll watch Adrian so I can sew. I make this pillow using an old Christmas sweater that used to belong to Mary. I'll be mailing it to my sister-in-law so that she and her kids can enjoy it for Christmas.



6 p.m. Adrian to bath, then to bed. Relaxation all around. Whew.

We're really sad to be having Christmas without GrandMary. It's like a whole new holiday paradigm that we need to learn.

I'll post instructions on how to make a Christmas Sweater Pillow shortly. It was super easy and fun.

--Katie Rose

2 comments:

cedarstrings said...

The pillow is a very thoughtful gift; I wish I had saved one of my M-I-L's sweaters for just such a memento.

Philippines Tourism said...

I love your style of writing, very similar to what i try to achieve, covering n array of topics, yours are more interesting than my own....hahahaha...

keep up the good work.