Friday, December 5, 2008

Vintage Find: Knitting for Fun, ca 1973

In the local thrift store today I found this lovely book:

scn0001

As you probably know by now, I find it very hard to resist vintage knitting books, but I’m proud of myself because I only picked up two out of the 6 or 7 they had. The other one is Traditional Island Knitting, which includes traditional patterns nad motifs on Aran, Fair Isle, Channel Isle, Shetland, Icelandic, and Falkland Islands knitting. More on that some other time.

Knitting for Fun includes all of my favorite elements from 70s knitting books, from the quirky and cute… scn0002

… to boho glam…

scn0003

… to the outright hideous…

scn0005

(a belted tunic? for men? really??)

scn0006

(It wouldn’t be the 70s without a rainbow poncho.)

… to the actually kind of awesome:

scn0004

I sort of want to make these. Maybe not in the Rainbow Bright color scheme. But they’d keep your legs warm on a cold day.

1 comment:

~Donna~ said...

OMG, I absolutely love vintage knitting books. Can do without the 80's pattern books, but all others are fantastic. Love those thigh high socks. Would def have to make those!